More than one-third of American adults don’t visit their dentist every year. That’s a big mistake—both in terms of oral health and overall health. If you’re one of the 100 million Americans avoiding the dentist, here are a few reasons to schedule your preventive care appointment today.
- You like your teeth. Your dentist can help you keep them longer. Regular exams check for tooth-destroyers, like cavities and gum disease, so you can treat them before they lead to tooth loss. Also, your dental hygienist can clean your teeth in places you might not be able to reach effectively, which means a brighter smile.
- It’s not just for kids. American children have regular dental exams at a much higher rate than adults—even though adults encounter more unique oral health issues as they age. The average adult between ages 20 and 64 has three or more missing or decayed teeth—and most adults show signs of gum disease. Simply put, whether you’re 9 or 90, preventive dental exams are important.
- You care about your health. Not only do regular dental exams keep your mouth healthy, but they also protect your overall health. For example, people with periodontal disease (a disease of the gum and bone that supports teeth) are almost twice as likely to have heart disease.
- Symptom-free doesn’t mean problem-free. Bleeding gums and tooth pain are certainly clues that something’s wrong. But most dental problems are painless at first. Getting regular checkups and X-rays helps you catch issues early—when they are easier and less costly to treat.
- It doesn’t cost you a dime if you’re enrolled in a Rockwell Automation dental option. The Basic Option and Comprehensive Option cover preventive care—including exams, cleanings and X-rays—at 100% when you use network dentists.
If you don’t have a network dentist, search for one by logging onto MetLife’s website. Or ask for recommendations from colleagues. Dental appointments are likely to be less stressful if you know, like and trust your dentist.